Some people may think keeping a 55gb archive folder with program installers dating back nearly 10 years is a bit excessive. But when you have the disk space, why not?
Today, it just saved me a TON of head ache and trouble.
Since 2005 I have ran a USB Power Commander 3 on my motorcycle. It connects to my 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R’s onboard computer and basically allows me to remap air/fuel ratios. This is necessary because I have an aftermarket exhaust system on my bike, and if I didn’t remap my air/fuel to add more fuel the bike would run lean, which is VERY bad for any motor.
And since 2005 I have not messed with it. I loaded a custom air-fuel map, made some tweaks, and have left it alone ever since, which is exactly what I should have done. Except that my buddy Jon was FINALLY putting one on his 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 after just getting his exhaust on, so it was time I play with it again. Since 2005 I have gone to a new laptop then the one I originally used to program the unit on my bike, so I needed to reinstall the software. I headed off to the Power Commander site to download the latest version. I got it all installed and off I went to test. It seemed to work except I noticed something odd… the throttle position values for Closed and Open were way off and the software wasn’t displaying my TP value. On top of this, the map was showing all 0’s where it should be showing percentages… I didn’t mess with it any more after that. I went over to Jon’s, we got his all set up, got the map loaded, and the TP values worked exactly like they should have on his bike. That puzzled me a bit, but I figured it was due to his Power Commander having a much much newer version of the firmware on it then mine did (which is the cause…)