I also mentioned I didn’t blame Avira because I felt that it was a new strain, and it looks like I was right.
Yesterday when I scanned the infected file it wasn’t reporting any issues.
Today I noticed a little update notice from Avira so for the heck of it I scanned the infected file again (kept it around to test with), and bam, detected!
So for the heck of it I popped it through my trusty online scanner, VirusTotal which will scan any file you upload against 41 antivirus engines.
The other day I got:
File iaStor.sys received on 2009.11.12 18:25:30 (UTC)
Current status: finished
Result: 1/41 (2.44%)
Reanalysing the file today I get:
File iaStor.sys received on 2009.11.15 00:09:41 (UTC)
Current status: Loading … queued waiting scanning finished NOT FOUND STOPPEDResult: 11/41 (26.83%)